It might have only been a few days since news of a Sheffield United takeover broke, but things could already have hit the buffers according to reports from Saudi Arabia.
It was claimed on Thursday and Friday that American businessman Henry Mauriss had had a £115m bid accepted by Prince Abdullah and the board. Mauriss is said to have confirmed the acceptance of his offer, and it’s even thought that the EFL are already working to ratify the deal.
However, fresh reports have emerged where Prince Abdullah has reportedly said the takeover has less than a 50% chance of happening as things stand. Shared by the respected Blades Twitter account, The Bladesman, a report which detailed an interview with Prince Abdullah from a Saudi Arabian journalist suggested things weren’t as far down the line as had been reported.
The current United owner is said to be open to selling the club. He has said himself that the club needs further investment and he stands to make a good chunk of money if the £115m bid goes through.
Our View: Sheffield United Fans Won’t Be Excited Until A Deal Is Announced
Any long-serving Sheffield United supporter will know that life as a Blade usually brings more disappointment than success. With this, it seems everyone is happy to sit waiting until the dotted line is signed.
At the moment, it’s hard to make full sense of what’s happening. There could well be a £115m bid in. In fact, Ian Dennis from the BBC is not going to report it if there isn’t any substance.
In terms of the Prince’s comments, this could just be him keeping things under wraps a tad. That, or he’s hoping to attract more bidders by suggesting things aren’t over the line just yet.
We will all have to wait and see. But at the end of the day, there’s no point in being excited by this takeover until we get something concrete from the club.